The Building of the IRRA
In 1823 Swiss master Bucher founded a small cotton-printing workshop on the outskirts
of Moscow. The workshop was situated on Derbenevskaya Embankment.
It soon turned into the biggest cotton-printing factory in the Russian Empire.
After beginning his work at a factory a man changed from a peasant on quitrent into a
Such looms are the ancestors of the modern weaving printers.
The term “cotton-printing” literally means that a drawing is patterned on a canvas in a special
way: they cover a canvas by a form with paint and use a special hammer.
Since 1847 Emil Zindel ran the factory.
The factory successfully developed and new buildings were built.
The developments that took place in Russia in 1905-1907 concerned the factory. At the very
beginning of the strike movement Zindel’s fabric, together with Prokhorov manufacture
in Presnya, was one of the main bases of the rebel workers. In June, 1906 6000 fabric workers
went on strike. Besides raising a salary, the rebels demanded reinstatement in a job for those,
who had been dismissed during the strikes in 1905.
Emil Zindel’s fabric worked in Moscow till 1915. In the Soviet time this weaving enterprise was
renamed “The First Cotton-Printing Fabric”.
Nowadays, when printed cotton consumption reduced, “The First Cotton-Printing Fabric” couldn’t successfully compete with Ivanovo (the weaving capital of Russia). The owners of the enterprise, developing company “Promsvyaznedvizhomost”, decided to turn the fabric premises into a
business centre. They named the project “Novospassky Dvor” and invited architect Igor Lapunov
to realize it.
The name is taken after the Novospassky Monastery, which is situated on the other bank of the Moskva-river.
The Modern History
The business centre “Novospassky Dvor” is one of the first and biggest projects carried
out in industrial Moscow. The works started
in 2005. 14 buildings have been fully reconstructed.
In 2011 in a picturesque building with a
stack, former boiler house, the Institute of Russian Realist Art began its work.
There is a parking lot, public gardens and a recreation area with fountains on the
territory of the business centre.